Wednesday, October 31, 2012

October 2012 Foodie Pen Pal Reveal

It's foodie pen pal reveal day!!! HOORAY!!!!! Got my box Monday and was sooo excited about it. I had been waiting and hoping just crazy excited. It's just nice to get a package in the mail now and then that is specifically for you and has delicious treats in it. So this is my trick-or-treat FPP box.


When this loveliness arrived after my run I immediately took it home and ripped open the box - ok I didn't RIP open the box, just cut the tape. I pulled out the pretty orange card with a description of what was inside - all local Washington state items and homemade goodies. Libby - my pen pal for October also collects salt and pepper shakers so she shared some with me.


Firstly we have apple butter - OMG! I had just had some after Rugged Maniac at Cracker Barrel and was thinking to myself "Sarah, you need to go buy some." Well now I don't have to. This is delicious and I could totally eat it by itself but I'm restraining myself and using only a little at a time on bread items or oatmeal.


Yes, ran a 5k mud run Saturday Oct 27. In the 35 degree weather in Missouri. Brr but fun. Back to the food!


Then there was this loveliness. Apple Cider Syrup - OMG now I just HAVE to make some pancakes, maybe some cinnamon pancakes with apple slices and then this syrup or cook down the apple slices IN the syrup. Ooooo so many options. I could drink this, tastes like cider.


An then there is applesauce, I adore applesauce. I don't buy it enough that's for sure and with apple season I should really just make some. This was cinnamon-y but not over the top and had a nice apple flavor but wasn't tart like some get - you know to the point you pucker. No this was perfectly balanced. And I loved it so much it was finished off in 2 days. I told myself I would share these things with Mike but I just couldn't help myself and he told me to just enjoy. So I did.


Totally snarfed it up all by myself. Hehe. Sorry honey. Love you!


Libby also sent over mulling spices for hot cider or tea or whatever your imagination can think up for this. I will probably go buy some apple juice and make some cider. This smells amazing! I may just hang one of those little baggies in my car window and have my car smelling so deliciously Fall. Mmmm, nothing beats that cider smell. Well, except for maybe a handsome man all clean and showered up and dressed up ready to go out for a night on the town. (Yes you Mike).

There was also Rhubarb Rosemary Jam. Wasn't sure about this. I like rhubarb. I like rosemary. Hmmmm, so I tried it. Smelled a lot of rosemary upon cracking that jar open. Was unsure but I live by "try everything once." I actually enjoyed this. Would be good on wheat toast or something simple. You wouldn't want to put it on something too crazy. Would work with savory or sweet dishes. Maybe could turn it into a glaze for pork chops. Oh the creative juices are flowing today hehe. 


I can't recall if I said that I liked peanut butter or not. Libby had asked what our favorite fall flavor was, we said apples/apple cinnamon. So that is why we have all the apple stuff. But then, yes then, there was this loveliness of peanut butter goodness that was honey roasted. OMG I am in love with peanut butter (as far as foods go). It's gotta be my #1 favorite food on the planet. So yes, I was stoked to see this in the box, though somehow the post office cracked the tub and some of the peanut butter was in the box and not in the tub. I think I just about salvaged as much as I could, from the tub not that box eww. I have it in my fridge to be on the safe side too. Delicious peanut butter. Will be using this for a while. If it lasts that long.


These are those adorable salt and pepper shakes I was talking about. The seasoning comes out their butts. Too freaking adorable. Perfect to go next to my hippo salt and pepper shakers. :)


A few final words before I leave you for the day. Happy halloween for one, this is my lion costume for the work contest today. Also Mike and I will be hosting a guest blogger for their reveal of the box we sent him. :) Super excited for our first guest blogger.

You can go see what Libby got here

Here is how the FPP system works:

The Lean Green Bean
-On the 5th of every month, you will receive your pen pal pairing via email. It will be your responsibility to contact your pen pal and get their mailing address and any other information you might need like allergies or dietary restrictions.
-You will have until the 15th of the month to put your box of goodies in the mail. On the last day of the month, you will post about the goodies you received from your pen pal! -The boxes are to be filled with fun foodie things, local food items or even homemade treats! The spending limit is $15. The box must also include something written. This can be anything from a note explaining what’s in the box, to a fun recipe…use your imagination!-You are responsible for figuring out the best way to ship your items depending on their size and how fragile they are. (Don’t forget about flat rate boxes!)-Foodie Pen pals is open to blog readers as well as bloggers. If you’re a reader and you get paired with a blogger, you are to write a short guest post for your pen pal to post on their blog about what you received. If two readers are paired together, neither needs to worry about writing a post for that month. -Foodie Pen pals is open to US & Canadian residents.  Please note, Canadian Residents will be paired with other Canadians only. We've determined things might get too slow and backed up if we're trying to send foods through customs across the border from US to Canada and vice versa

If you’re interested in participating for November, please CLICK HERE to fill out the participation form and read the terms and conditions.
You must submit your information by November 4th as pairings will be emailed on November 5th!
*If you’re from somewhere besides the US, Canada or Europe and want to participate, send me an email and I’ll see if we get enough interest this month!
Go out and cook and maybe join FPP for November.

No comments:

Post a Comment